Saturday, November 13, 2010

Lolita

Thus, neither of us is alive when the reader opens this book. But while the blood still throbs through my writing hand, you are still as much part of blessed matter as I am, and I can still talk to you from here in Alaska. Be true to your Dick. Do not let other fellows touch you. Do not talk to strangers. I hope you will love your baby. I hope it will be a boy. That husband of yours, I hope, will always treat you well, because otherwise my specter shall come at him, like black smoke, like a demented giant, and pull him apart nerve by nerve. I am thinking of aurochs and angels, the secret of durable pigments, the prophetic sonnets, the refuge of art. And this is the only immortality you and I may share, my Lolita.

- Vladimir Nabokov

No comments:

Post a Comment